Saturday, July 03, 2004

Some things are meant to be or not to be

Some things are meant to be or not to be. I was depressed this weekend that I was not in Daytona for the NASCAR race. I was reminiscing all week about my trips down there and how much fun they were. Yesterday I watched all the Drivers 360 shows and the Busch race on TV and I couldn't wait to watch the Daytona Pepsi 400 tonight. I brought Uncle Malcolm, Pia and Andrew to the airport with my mom and then raced home for the 400 mile race.

It was suppose to begin at 6:30 p.m. I had my Jr. hat on and was comfortable in front of the TV. Then, they had a rain delay for about 2 and a half hours. Well, this just puts a damper on the momentum that had started earlier in the day.

I started thinking right then, that maybe it was better that we were not there in the rain, being miserable. Finally, the race began around 9:00. It was a good race; as good as it could be sitting in front of the TV watching it.

And then it happened...Glenn's favorite driver, Jeff Gordon, won the race. I was happy for Glenn, but in the back of my head I knew something...Glenn will never go to another Daytona race again. He thinks for some reason that he has jinxed Gordon all the times he has gone.

See, the last time Gordon won at Daytona, Glenn wasn't there. He has gone every year since then and Gordon hasn't won. Now that he didn't go this year and Gordon won, I know Glenn all too well, he won't be going to Daytona again! I think we might have to kidnap him when we go down again! Maybe Dale Jr. will win again!! :) Scott even called after the race to tell me this about Glenn. It's funny how we all know each other so well and are so superstitious. It's not good to be this superstitious, but sometimes when things like this happen, it's only natural to feel this way!

It is pointless to say, but now I'm really going to sulk about this race! ;) Not only was I not there to enjoy all the excitement a NASCAR race entails, but Gordon won!

So maybe it was just meant to be that we did not attend this race. Between the rain and the jinxing, I think we came out better being home. Who knows, the way our luck goes...if we were there, we would probably be stuck in the infield trying to get our car or some Alamo rental car out of the wet sloppy grass right now!

Happy Fourth of July!!!! Thank God for our freedom and the troops overseas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home